The Developing Leader
5 Weeks Online ~ Self-paced
Tuition ~ $1,300*
* Includes 20% discount / Includes all Textbooks
Ribbon Color ~ BLACK
Award ~ MAGNUS PRINCEPS©
Meaning of PRINCEPS ~ Leader
“The Developing Leader” course of the National Command & Staff College with a Black Color Ribbon and “MAGNUS PRINCEPS” insignia, is a 5-week self-paced on-line educational course with over 9 Million hours of proven history in Law Enforcement and Corrections.
Foundation | Theories | Application | Mastery
The course is delivered through the College’s “Institute for Credible Leadership Development” (ICLD) division.
The completion of each module will lead to a certificate of completion for that module through the ICLD. To complete the course, students will then write an essay administered by the Criminal Justice Commission for Credible Leadership Development.
The course graduates will receive a National Command & Staff College diploma and a MAGNUS PRINCEPS Neck or Chest black color Ribbon Medallion.
With this, the graduates become a member of the MAGNUS PRINCEPS Network for enhanced networking and future re-training and development.
Individual Success – Agency Effectiveness – Community Impact
Intellect Drives Excellence
- Arkansas Sheriffs’ Association
- California Tactical Officers Association
- Colorado Sheriffs’ Association
- Indiana County Sheriffs’ Association
- Iowa Sheriffs’ and Deputies’ Association
- National Sheriffs’ Association
- National Tactical Officers’ Association
- Minnesota County Sheriffs’ Association
- South Dakota Sheriffs’ Association
- Arkansas State Police
- Louisiana Department of Correction
- North Carolina Department Adult Corrections
- South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation
- South Dakota Law Enforcement Academy
- South Dakota Highway Patrol
- Wisconsin Training & Standards Bureau
State & Federal Grants Engagement
- Engagement in HIDTA, a Federal Grant founded training
- Engagement in a Department of Justice Grant funded training through Research Triangle Institute
- Recipient of a NC Crime Commission Grant
- Apex Police Department
- Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Office
- Atlantic Beach Police Department
- Badger State Sheriffs’ Association
- Bexar County Sheriff’s Office
- Bladen County Sheriff’s Office
- Buncombe County Sheriff’s Office
- Camden County Sheriff’s Office
- Carteret County Sheriff’s Office
- Dane County Sheriff’s Office
- Fuquay-Varina Police Department
- Garner Police Department
- Guilford County Sheriff’s Office
- Harris County Sheriff’s Office
- Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office
- Los Angeles Police Department
- Madison County Sheriff’s Office
- Holly Springs Police Department
- Minnehaha County Sheriff’s Office
- Morrisville Police Department
- New York City Police Department (NYPD)
- Pennington County Sheriff’s Office
- Pierce County Sheriff’s Office
- Pinal County Sheriff’s Office
- Plaquemine Parish Sheriff’s Office
- Rapid City Police Department
- Rock County Sheriff’s Office
- St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office
- St. John Parish Sheriff’s Office
- Statesville Police Department
- Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff’s Office
- Travis County Sheriff’s Office
- Union County Sheriff’s Office
- Washington County Sheriff’s Office
ICLD I ~ Leadership Foundations & Principles
This module is designed to provide a comprehensive introduction to leadership, ethics, character, supervision, communication and self-development for the Developing Leader. It is based on the principle that all law enforcement professionals must lead within their scope of responsibility and must be given the tools to understand what leadership looks like, feels like and sounds like. It is designed to fill the void of leadership training which traditionally exists between entry level and mid-level supervision. The program stresses the importance of understanding the true definition of policing and how participant’s actions and their organizational mission must align with that definition.
This curriculum introduces participants to the expectations and responsibilities of first-line and mid-level supervisors and the concept of “Leading Down and Managing Up”, through a detailed summary of two best-selling books.. It takes a comprehensive look at leadership and ethics, identifying the most common ethical dilemmas in law enforcement and how they destroy public trust and individual careers.
As with all Credible Leadership Phases, the module faculty and video lectures by select instructors are proven experts in the field of leadership and Law Enforcement who understand the importance of every employee’s role within an organization and how to influence all for positive organizational growth.
Required Textbooks: 2 Textbooks
ICLD II ~ Leadership Theories & Practices
This module is your comprehensive journey through leadership education. This course is designed to raise participants level of organizational thought and team-building by focusing on theories and practices of organizational leaders from both private and public sectors who have made monumental changes within their organizations.
Your faculty and video segments from select instructors in the module illustrate several exemplary examples of organizational leadership success and introduce participants to methods and rationale behind these highly successful best practices. This course of instruction features segments from leadership giants John Maxwell, Tony Robbins, Howard Schultz, Jeff Canter, Sheriff Ray Nash, General Stanley Mc Chrystal and many more. The curriculum includes summaries of three best-selling books in leadership.
Practices from experts in the field of leadership are infused within the module
curriculum to enhance their relevance to law enforcement practices and organizational procedures. This combination gives rise to modules on Generations, Human Capital Management, Emotional Intelligence, Conflict Management, Proactive Communication, Cultural Sensitivity, Action-Centered Leadership, Legacy Leadership and Reflective Leadership.
Required Textbooks: 3 Textbooks
ICLD III~ Leadership Application & Advancement
This module addresses the balance of humanistic and tactical approaches to law enforcement and corrections leadership.
It focuses on understanding the human factors of police leadership and how if used effectively, it can change the internal culture and external perception of an organization. The module is steeped in emotional intelligence and self-realism, containing modules featuring Advanced Emotional Intelligence, Human Factors in Policing, Adaptive Leadership, Authentic Leadership, Servant Leadership, Credible Leadership, Toxic Leadership, Community Leadership, Tactical Leadership and the Moral Compass for Law Enforcement Professionals. Each of these modules are designed to make students take an introspective look at how they apply leadership practices both internally and externally.
As with other modules, it contains segments from experts in the field of organizational leadership that reinforces the curriculum and prepare students for the practical applications.
Required Textbooks: 2 Textbooks
ICLD IV ~ Leadership Competency & Mastery
This module provides an opportunity to understand and perform the complex knowledge, skills and tasks that exemplary leaders perform.
The content was researched and field tested for over a period of more than 30 years in university and justice and public safety environments including police, corrections, customs, immigration, homeland security and private security. It is based on the breakthrough Law Enforcement transformation textbook. The course was filmed at LAPD and piloted in collaboration with Deputy Chief Mark Perez and his Team of Leaders at the Los Angeles Police Department. This highly competent team was carefully selected to be able demonstrate the skills involved of Credible Leadership throughout the course.
The breakthrough of this course is that officers are now able take self-responsibility for mastering the 60 Skills that enable them to perform the 40 Tasks and Responsibilities that research has revealed are critical for leadership success in justice and public safety. Never before has professional leadership been so well-defined and distilled so that it is easily and quickly learned. The course is a research-based, online, performance enhancement learning process that equips leaders to express more empathic caring, be more ethically conscious, and more capable of developing themselves, other leaders, teams and organizations.
Required Textbook: 1 Textbook – 2017, 3rd Edition of “Every officer is a Leader” — Purchase additional copies here