Sample Video of Our Leadership Course at SBSD
Chief Randy Watt on Credible Leadership
200 JPSO Officers Receive National Certification
The National Command & Staff College in collaboration with the National Sheriffs’ Association (NSA) and the National Tactical Officers Association (NTOA) develops Star Performers through modern learning experiences that build and promote community safety and mutual trust, maximize officer safety and wellness while reducing Agency and Officer liability and risks.
Recognized as a Center of Educational Excellence by the International Association of Directors of Law Enforcement Standards & Training (IADLEST), we have been solving the biggest learning, education, and performance improvement challenges in public safety for over 10 years.
The National Command & Staff College (NC&SC) for Law Enforcement and Corrections is a blended learning program designed to prepare today’s policing leaders to succeed in an ever- changing professional environment, and to effectively meet the challenges of the future. Highlights include:
- Leadership principles required to inspire and influence the future direction of the agency.
- Strategies and tactics to identify emerging issues and provide a proactive response to deliver results with confidence.
- Advanced hand-on tools, skills and knowledge necessary to anticipate and prepare for the future success.
- Fundamental and necessary working methods and benefits of sharing information.
- Use of teams and stakeholders in problem solving for better outcomes.
The College is a dynamic learning experience that uses online, classroom, small group, and cohort learning modes/modalities to introduce new concepts, refine the student’s understanding of those new modalities, and subsequently use those skills to help create the future of law enforcement and correctional education.
The distinct features of the college which makes it different from other learning organizations are:
- A diverse instructional faculty from the disciplines of criminal justice, business, academia and military.
- The utilization of new modes of learning including on-line learning whose purpose is to create a program with key core anchors of Leadership, Law Enforcement / Corrections operations, Innovation & Foresight as foundations for all specialties.
Although the program’s key process is drawn from the CA POST Command College (with more than 30 years of successfully training aspiring executives in that State), the NCSC extends its influence to create a national movement of leaders who can inspire others to learn more, dream more, want more, become more, look beyond today to what will happen next, and then work collaboratively to innovate new and lasting strategies to deal with the chronic, critical problems of policing a 21st Century America.
The long-term goal of the NCSC program is to add to the leadership skill sets of each participant; it is also to contribute to the body of knowledge of law enforcement and corrections through the completion of significant foresight-based research. Students of the NCSC will select any of the following modules based on needs:
- MAGNUS Seminars ~ 2-5 Days Workshop
- The Developing Leader ~ 5 Weeks On-Line
- Patrol & Special Operations Leadership
- Tactical Leadership ~ 3.5 Weeks On-Line, 1 Week Residency and Capstone
- Operational Leadership ~ 4 Weeks On-Line, 1 Week Residency and Capstone
- Strategic Leadership ~ 4 Weeks On-Line, 1 Week Residency and Capstone
- Command & Staff Leadership Program ~ 5 Weeks On-Line, 2 Weeks Residency and Capstone
- NorthStar Leadership ~ 4 Weeks On- Line, 4 Weeks Residency and Capstone
- The Chief Executive Leadership ~ 1 Week Residency
The students in programs with a required capstone will select a topic for research and then learn the tools and concepts they will use to complete the Futures Portfolio.