Founded by the International Academy of Public Safety in collaboration with the National Sheriffs’ Association and the National Tactical Officers Association to develop MAGNUS Leaders through modern learning experiences that build and promote community safety and mutual trust, maximize officer safer, wellness, performance, and reduce liability and risks.
As the leading center of professional development excellence, we have been solving the biggest learning, education, and performance improvement challenges in public safety for over 10 years.
The National Command & Staff College (NC&SC) for Law Enforcement and Corrections is a blended learning program designed to prepare today’s policing leaders to succeed in an ever- changing professional environment, and to effectively meet the challenges of the future. Highlights include:
- Leadership principles required to inspire and influence the future direction of the agency.
- Strategies and tactics to identify emerging issues and provide a proactive response to deliver results with confidence.
- Advanced hand-on tools, skills and knowledge necessary to anticipate and prepare for the future success.
- Fundamental and necessary working methods and benefits of sharing information.
- Use of teams and stakeholders in problem solving for better outcomes.
The College, currently under articulation for both undergraduate and graduate college credit at Johns Hopkins University’s Criminal Justice Leadership program, is a dynamic learning experience that uses online, classroom, small group, and cohort learning modes/modalities to introduce new concepts, refine the student’s understanding of those new modalities, and subsequently use those skills to help create the future of law enforcement and correctional education.
The distinct features of the college which makes it different from other learning organizations are:
- A diverse instructional faculty from the disciplines of criminal justice, business, academia and military.
- The utilization of new modes of learning including on-line learning whose purpose is to create a program with key core anchors of Leadership, Law Enforcement / Corrections operations, Innovation & Foresight as foundations for all specialties.
Although the program’s key process is drawn from the CA POST Command College (with more than 30 years of successfully training aspiring executives in that State), the NCSC extends its influence to create a national movement of leaders who can inspire others to learn more, dream more, want more, become more, look beyond today to what will happen next, and then work collaboratively to innovate new and lasting strategies to deal with the chronic, critical problems of policing a 21st Century America.
The long-term goal of the NCSC program is to add to the leadership skill sets of each participant; it is also to contribute to the body of knowledge of law enforcement and corrections through the completion of significant foresight-based research. Students of the NCSC will select any of the following modules based on needs:
- The Developing Leader ~ 5 Weeks On-Line
- Tactical Leadership ~ 3.5 Weeks On-Line, 1 Week Residency and Capstone
- Operational Leadership ~ 4 Weeks On-Line, 1 Week Residency and Capstone
- Strategic Leadership ~ 4 Weeks On-Line, 1 Week Residency and Capstone
- Command & Staff Leadership for Law Enforcement ~ 5 Weeks On-Line, 2 Weeks Residency and Capstone
- Command & Staff Leadership for Corrections ~ 4 Weeks On- Line, 2 Weeks Residency and Capstone
- Executive Leadership ~ 4 Weeks On-Line, 2 Weeks Residency and Capstone
- The Chief Executive Leadership ~ 1 Week Residency
The students in programs with a required capstone will select a topic for research and then learn the tools and concepts they will use to complete the Futures Portfolio.
The National Command & Staff College is a partnership between the International Academy of Public Safety, the National Sheriffs’ Association, the National Tactical Officers Association and the Center for Police Leadership & Ethics.
Vision: Continuous education and development of the world’s most Credible Leadership Organizations and Professionals in Public Safety.
Mission: Impacting Communities by Providing Scientific, Proven and Practical Credible Leadership Education and Development for Public Safety.
Core Values: Intellect, Virtues and Courage to BECOME More With Supererogation
Dr. Mitch Javidi, Chancellor of the National Command & Staff College with Timmy Valenti, Director of the Gulf Coast HIDTA and Executive Director Johnathan Thompson of the National Sheriffs’ Association after his 2018 presentation to the US HIDTA Directors in Washington DC. “Together, we are making a difference on Law Enforcement”.